RAY EDWARDS 'Portrait of a Bluegrass Songwriter'
There's plenty of good solid Bluegrass on this 12-song production, with the one constant being the fact that Edwards has written or co-written all the songs on the record. There's an interesting and impressive list of talent here, as Edwards' songs are given good treatment by different bands for each song. These include IIIRD TYME OUT, DARRELL WEBB, CAROLINA ROAD, GRASSTOWNE, SPECIAL CONSENSUS, JEANETTE WILLIAMS and MONROEVILLE. A negative aspect that we must point out is the lack of any real information about Edwards (as far as we know he was a North Carolinian who left that state years ago to pursue a successful career as a songwriter in Nashville). The record comes with a 10-panel insert in which song titles, composer credits, and words to the songs all run together, creating a jumble that is very difficult to read --with a better layout there could have been room for a bit of personal detail about Edwards himself. Probably the best known song of his that appears on this record is HARD ROCK MOUNTAIN PRISON, done superbly by RUSSELL MOORE and IIIRD TYME OUT.
- HARD ROCK MOUNTAIN PRISON (''TILL I DIE) -- Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out
- WHEN THE LOVE WE HAVE IS GONE -- Darrell Webb Band
- BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAIN SNOW -- Nu-Blu
- HEARTBREAK HALL OF FAME -- Monroeville
- I'LL BE OVER YOU -- Carolina Road
- WINDY RIDGE -- Ray Edwards & Hard Rock Mountain
- MY NAME IS JIMMY MARTIN (DO YOU REMEMBER ME?) -- Ray Edwards & Hard Rock Mountain
- BLUE RIDGE BLUE -- Jeanette Williams
- OLD STEAMBOATS AND TRAINS -- Grasstowne
- GETTIN' ME SOME GONE -- Special Consensus
- WHERE MY DARLIN' WAITS FOR ME -- Ray Edwards & Hard Rock Mountain
- WILL I STAND ON THE ROCK OF AGES -- Keith Pyrtle & Ray Edwards